We REALLY Love Fabric!

by Laura on November 18, 2011

Tattoo Inspiration

Between the staff at Spool and our sister store, Loop, you may be surprised to know that there is a lot of talk of tattoos. Everyone except me and Kathy from Loop had one, and it seems that planning for the next one was always in the works! In reference to our fabrics, the phrase, “This would make a cool tattoo!” is often heard!

I know tattoos aren’t for everyone, and honestly I didn’t think they were for me either, but one afternoon in September, the tattoo bug struck big time! Craig and I have been very fortunate to assemble a team that gets along extremely well, and it was decided that we should get Spool/Loop tattoos together that day after work! Since we couldn’t all agree on the same design, we decided that our unifying theme would be to take our inspiration from any fabric on the shelves at Spool.

amanda

Amanda combined two of the dainty little flowers from the Flowerpop print by Erin McMorris for her Summersault collection. It has to be said that I think Amanda may have been the most excited of our group to get her tattoo! She said, “This makes us a real family now!” What a sweetheart!

craig

Craig chose Ragg Tagg from Daisy Janie’s Shades of Grey collection. This print looks just like knit stitches, so it couldn’t be more appropriate for a yarn shop owner. In tattoo form, don’t the stitches also look like delicate leaves? Craig is the only one who got color added to his work, and I love that it is very close to the Loop logo blue!

amber

Amber went with this lovely dandelion from Valori Wells’ Wrenly collection. The name of the print is Wildfield, and it suits Amber’s love of the natural world perfectly. Andrew, our tattoo artist, did an exceptional job with this one, I must say!

kristine

Kristine, Olan and I all fell in love with The Banks print from Cloud 9′s Across the Pond collection. Kristine chose 3 of the little arrows for her left foot. I think Kristine was the fastest tattoo decision maker out of all of us. She saw it, she traced it and tattooed it. Done! I was very impressed!

olan

Olan made his own design using several of the arrow styles from the original print. He created a fantastic little talisman all his own!

laura

I kept it super simple (and small!) and chose just 2 little arrows for my tattoo. These little guys were my favorite because of the tiny flaming tails- I love ‘em! It’s my first one and I was probably the most nervous in our group. I really didn’t know if I would go through with it until the last minute, but I’m so glad I did it!

Everyone’s ink turned out so well! A big thanks is owed to Andrew of Body Graphics on 4th Street for making our experience such a good one and for accommodating such a big group on short notice. Seriously, Andrew is thoughtful, calm and puts you right at ease- we highly recommend his work!

Of course, there is now talk of our NEXT group trip to include our staff that wasn’t working on that impulsive day! Even if this is my one and only tattoo, I am so happy to have a little permanent piece of our Spool & Loop journey to take with me everywhere!

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Adriane Finkelstein November 18, 2011 at 10:49 am

What a great idea. I’ve been wanting another tattoo,but have been unable to find one I love. Time to look at my fabrics with a new eye.

Theresa (Miss Charlotte) November 18, 2011 at 10:54 am

That is completely awesome! I love that you all went together for this. It is rather “family-like”, isn’t it? Wonderful inspiration for my next tattoo. Cheers!

Susanne November 18, 2011 at 11:46 am

I love you guys! Andrew at Body Graphics did my sheep tattoo three years ago when I explained to him how much I love to knit. I’ve been looking for inspiration for something new and unique and you guys just provided it!

Julie C. November 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm

You guys are featured on Craftzine website!!!!! Double Awesome!

Shannon Okey November 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I love you guys so much! This just amplifies it.

Pam November 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Hi Laura,
I was sorry to miss you on Monday! Hopefully you have seen the picture of the handbags that I made from fabric purchased there in the summer.
Tattoos are really cool, aren’t they! All of your tats look really nice…maybe I can get a giant flower on my shoulder – or not! Lol!

Helen November 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

What a great idea! Limitless possibilities for creativity. Got me thinking about looking at some vintage fabrics for inspiration.

Kristal November 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm

So AWESOME!! I am a big tattoo fan though. I have a sewing tattoo on my ankle that I got for my birthday this year. Here’s a link http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnstitches/5861898012/
So great that you have such close coworkers too!

mellenknits November 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I love that you all took the plunge and got your tattoos together! It’s been 10 years since I got my tattoo, and I never tire of telling the story behind its inspiration. Here’s to a great story for all of you!

Vismajor November 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

They all turned out so well! It’s so perfect that you all got them together. That makes it so much more fun.

I’m forever thinking about my next ink: I want a ball of yarn & needles on my inner wrist. When I’m finally ready, I’ll go see Andrew.

Jan | Daisy Janie November 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

What a high compliment! They all look fantastic!!! You’ve inspired me for sure… pondering what & where! Glad you like the knit look of the Ragg Tagg print, Craig – the inspiration came from an old Irish sweater a dear friend gave to me. (I was digging the resemblance to leaves when I designed it – they were really oversized at first, but I thought the concept of raglan was better conveyed on a smaller scale.)

Amanda November 19, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Fantastic! I love everyone’s choices. What a great way to pay homage to some excellent fabrics.

Carol November 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Did it hurt?!?

Laura November 22, 2011 at 9:19 am

Carol- I really thought I would be crying since they say that your foot is especially sensitive. In reality, it wasn’t that bad! Now I’m not saying I want a full back tattoo, but for the less than 10 minutes it took to get mine it was very manageable!