Preview: Habitat by Jay McCarroll

by Laura on October 19, 2010

Habitat by Jay McCarroll

Habitat by Jay McCarroll

Habitat

Yesterday, Jay McCarroll stopped by with sample yardage from his new collection, Habitat! SO. MUCH. FUN. Since Jay doesn’t have his own blog, (I know, it’s crazy! I’m working on him to start one, don’t worry!) he asked if I wouldn’t mind giving you a sneak peak of these fantastic new prints. How could I say no?!

This is Jay’s latest line with FreeSpirit Fabrics, and as you can see, it is quite a departure from his previous collections Woodland Wonderland, Garden Friends and Germania. While I love the whimsy of his those lines, I feel that, with this, Jay threw the door wide open for new possibilities to wear, carry, and decorate our own habitats!

Habitat is made up of 8 prints in 3 distinct colorways – jewel tones, brights, and earthtones. Jay loves to play with contrasts and contradictions! Urban & pastoral, digital & analog, graphic & organic. He pulls it all together with his signature color sense. For me this collection feels modern, artistic, and personal. A winning combination! Kudos, Jay!

Habitat by Jay McCarroll

Sharing this is exciting under ANY circumstances, but it’s even more so, because I’ve had the pleasure to watch this collection come together from the beginning. Jay was very generous in sharing his creative process with me, from showing me sketches, color stories, test swatches from the mill, and brainstorming names for the collection. Designing fabric is no joke, people! It’s a lot of work!

I am incredibly flattered that in exchange for my opinions, Jay named one of the fabrics after me! My last name is Singewald, which means “singing woods” or “singing forest” in German. Singing Forest is a gorgeous, faded floral printed over with bold, beautiful polka dots. Awww, thanks Jay! You are too sweet!

Habitat is shipping in January, and Spool will be carrying the entire collection. We will have a big party for Jay and you are all invited! In the meantime, Jay gifted me with a 1/2 yard of each fabric to play and plan with – I am thinking quilt! What types of quilts or projects would you like to see with Habitat?

I’m sure Jay will be reading this, so be sure to leave a comment. I know he’d love to know what you think!

{ 36 comments… read them below or add one }

jenni October 19, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love the jewel tones!!! And as always his use of line is exquisite!

Cheryl Arkison October 19, 2010 at 4:06 pm

There are some great, lustworthy fabrics there! I see stripes, lots of stripes.

jennifer October 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm

i was so excited when i opened the blogpost, but was soon disappointed. jay has great colors (as usual) but the prints left something left to be desired. i’m just not in love with this collection. oh well…maybe next time?

Sarah October 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm

As a shop owner myself I have to say I really like this collection! So much more “use-able” than his prior work. It’s still definitely going to sell with our more stylish customers and will play well with other collections too. Good work Jay!

crista October 19, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I LOVE THIS FABRIC! So retro can’t wait to get some and sew with it! Well done!

Laura October 19, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the input, ladies!

Crista, Jenni, & Cheryl- I’m so glad you like it! I love your stripes idea, Cheryl!

Sarah, I totally agree & hope your customers will love it!

Jennifer- I understand that you’re not feelin’ it , but I am going to try to win you over with the projects I make this spring! So be sure to check back with me, ok?

Tori October 20, 2010 at 1:34 am

I love it a ton! I can’t wait to get my hands on it! I have a lot of projects I’m dying to try with it!

Lizzy House October 20, 2010 at 11:06 am

I got a little teary eyed when my Mom showed this to me yesterday. I think it’s beautiful and he did such a fantastic job. It is so good to see designers continue to grow through their collections. Give Jay a good pat on the back from me. Love it all!

Lizzy House

Polly October 20, 2010 at 11:13 am

LOVE the pixellated ones! All the colorways are fab; I’m gonna get some of this pronto. :)

Jaime October 20, 2010 at 11:27 am

I love the jewel tones group as a whole but my favorite is the leftmost print in the third grouping. Stunning!

Sew Mama Sew October 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm

It is very unusual to see a collection that is so completely unique. Not like any other designer’s prints (past or present) and not even like his own groups. A perfect breath of fresh air.

Kristen Tordone October 20, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I adore the orange, turq, and peach combinations in the third grouping. Jay has always, WILL always be one of my most dominant inspirations! Great work Jay! When can we buy?!

Amanda October 20, 2010 at 8:53 pm

These made me swoon. I can’t even pick a colorway that I like the best! Guess that means I’ll have to get them all…. Can’t wait until January! I’m going to spend the time brainstorming the perfect quilt to showcase these great fabrics.

Laura October 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Hi Kristen- The full collection will be in the shop in January! Check back with us!

Laura October 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Wow- what resounding good vibes from everyone! It seems that there are already some serious Habitat fans out there- I’m so glad!

Thanks for sharing. I know Jay will love to read it all!

jay mccarroll October 21, 2010 at 12:25 am

holy cow! thank you so much for all of the amazing comments about “habitat”. it has been really exciting for me to sort of switch gears on this collection. while i adore my funny bunnies and cute deer, i really wanted to design fabrics that i just had to have in my own dream world where i live 3 days in my city loft and 2 days at my beach house and 2 days at my country cottage. (this in not my living arrangement unfortunately….a guy can dream can’t he?). i can really see these fabrics used in so many different capacities from home decor to apparel and am just so darn excited to see what people create with it. providing a medium for you, for me, is truly the greatest part of this process. stay tuned to the spool site and blog for i’m sure laura will be updating with lots of fun ways to use this line and details about the launch party. :)

kristen tordone….you are so sweet and were always a pleasure to work with. we will be having a launch party at the shop when the line comes out, januaryish, stop by and say hello!

lizzy house…are you kidding me? your stuff is soooo great! im super jealous of you….and your mothers book? the best!

gina pina October 21, 2010 at 1:53 am

I am both bewildered and excited! I can’t even pick a favorite. Upon first glance the prints don’t all seem to be from the same line, but they go together so well and the colorways are amazing. Perfect for a quilt that is not too matchy matchy looking. I would keep the colorways separate and mix in a lot of solid. How about applique circles or dresdens mimicking the Singing Forest print? Even a simple nine patch would be stunning. I am going to need to turn these into some bags though! This would make some awesome dec weight.

Vismajor October 21, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’m loving this collection. I really liked the whimsy of previous collections, but this one has an air of maturity combined with the whimsy.

So tough to choose a favorite from the three palette combos! They’re all appealing; I’m envisioning a quilt in each combo. I think my faves of the patterns themselves are the pixelated prints. Very sweet.

(aside to Laura: How totally cool is that about the Singing Forest print?!)

Great job, Jay! Looking forward to the launch in January. :)

Sidquilts October 21, 2010 at 10:37 am

Although I LOVED the whimsy of the first 2 lines (Germania is amazing), I guess I will have to be dragged to “maturity” with this one.
But seriously, what a wonderful variety of prints! I love the use of color and contrast – it is certainly original and what I expect from Jay!
I’ll definitely be making some bags and purses out of these and can’t wait to try out different combos!

Heidi October 21, 2010 at 10:39 am

I LOVE them…the colors are so modern, and the patterns remind me of everything I love about vintage nature-inspired textiles (read: Vera Neumann). I want a dress made out of each one and to reupholster all my furniture!

Alex C. October 21, 2010 at 11:52 am

I want that Singing Forest as wall covering. Awesome!

Laura October 21, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Vismajor/Amy- I know, right! I was so flattered AND happy that the round about name actually fits really well into the idea! I’m so glad you like it! See you soon!

Laura October 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Sid- I hear you- I have deers and bunnies stashed away to be used at a later date! But I think this line will make pretty rockin’ purses as well!

Pamela Ptak October 21, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I really LOVE all 3 color ways of Jay’s new fabric collection! Way to go Jay!! So many great things you can create with these. Can’t wait to see them on the streets of Philly! :D Pamela Ptak

Jeannette October 24, 2010 at 8:19 pm

This is really awesome. I just had to sit and look for awhile. I can’t WAIT to see these in real life.

i think I like the third colorway best, with the orangeishturquoiseish thing. And can’t wait to use it to decorate our bedroom/office suite. Especially since we have these weird burnt orange, too cool to cover, club chairs. I like this colorway, because it puts the colors together that I want to put together but can’t always quite. Hope that makes sense.

erica October 25, 2010 at 8:44 am

Yea!! I love Jay McCarrol! These samples are hot…The colors are great and the patterns are smart. Thanks for sharing.

Nola October 29, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I love Jay’s work- these fabrics are gorgeous!

Skylark Studio November 18, 2010 at 4:06 pm

WICKED!! these are so sweet! I’m loving the larger patterns – the polka dots and pixels are freakin’ awesome. they are just calling for upholstery projects! kudos Jay, well done!

Jessica November 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Love Jay all the way! So happy he is making more fabric!

TullySews November 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Love these! Polka dots atop a print — amazing! I can use these for items to sell if I use my own pattern, yes? Can hardly wait! Probably will ask for a b’day present of a trip to your store for a class to buy the fabrix in person :-) My Jay McCarroll orange tote with circle pattern is right here beside me at work w/knitting I do on the train commute. Yay Jay!

Laura November 20, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Hi TullySews- Yes, that’s fine! Enjoy!

amy cline November 29, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I love these new patterns! Great job Jay! i will be making a quilt with some of them to go with a Vietnamese textile that has hand embroidery in it. When more yardage is available I hope to match the color schemes to my existing fabric and I think this new line will work perfectly!
Thanks for the peak at the new designs!
amy

stephanie woody December 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm

LOVE THIS. I love it when a designer stretches me and my creativity by making me see that things I wouldn’t necessarily combine can be stunning together. Thanks, Jay, for pulling me outside my box. Well done.

Gina Cadenasso December 7, 2010 at 6:27 pm

What a delightfully fresh line. I can hardly wait to get them ordered for my little store in Portland. Thank you Jay. Laura, what a great description you gave us! Exciting.

Caroline December 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Well done Jay!! The singing forest prints are inspired and very much fill a void in the quilt fabric world! The lines print is also really nice and very 3D. I love the palettes and can’t wait to see these in person. Excellent work!! And umm no bloggie? How can this be? I can only assume you are too busy being creative!

Insung June 16, 2011 at 2:05 am

I am so glad that I got to see a little clutch made of one of these new prints at RCF this weekend. This whole collection looks amazing! I am so waiting to hear more about Modern Q challenge!