Shot Cotton Scarves

by Laura on October 31, 2008

Shot Cotton Scarves

One of the best things about Fall is wearing scarves! You can never have too many, because you just can’t know what your mood will be when you walk out the door. We got a recent shipment of Kaffe Fassett’s Shot Cotton, and the deep hues made me think autumn. Shot cotton is special because the warp and weft yarns are 2 different colors woven together to create a special depth, a “shot” of color. When the edge of this fabric ravels, you can see a bright contrast to the body of the fabric, like in the photos below. Normally you would just see a tiny bit of this in your seam allowance on the inside of your project, but I thought it would be fun to bring it out and play it up.

My creation I Am Legend hd

These scarves couldn’t be simpler to make! I took a yard of 2 fabrics and cut them in half lengthwise. I then sewed 2 short ends together ( there is no “right side” to this fabric) with a 3/4″ seam allowance and then sewed the seam allowances down flat. I threw them in the washer and dryer and after a light pressing – Voila! – a beautiful, totally reversible Fall scarf is born! You can coax the edges to fray more by pulling on the cross threads, or embellish with embroidery thread. The fabric is lightweight and gauzy, so it easily wraps around your neck, and can be comfortably worn indoors. There are so many possibilities to make this scarf your own! We took our favorite combinations and kitted them up. Each kit contains 2 “fat halves”, a 22″ x 36″ piece of fabric, of Shot Cotton. These amazing colors colors are perfect for adding a little autumn flair! See more photos here and have fun!

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Michelle November 1, 2008 at 12:29 am

The scarves look great!

I saw Kaffe at Quilt Market — so fun to see him in real life.

nicole November 1, 2008 at 4:12 am

Freakin’ super awesome!!!

Rachel November 2, 2008 at 4:58 pm

These are fabulous! I’ll be linking to this.

Whitney November 2, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Beautiful!

kylie gusset November 2, 2008 at 6:32 pm

is that a handknit green top that you’re wearing – i’m loving the layering that’s happening in the photo!
if so, what is the pattern?

joanie November 2, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Fantastic! Don’t know where to get my hands on the fabric here in the UK but I’ll try and muster up something similar. Great idea.

Laura November 2, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Thanks everyone! I’m so happy you like the scarves!

Michelle- I just met Kaffe at Quilt Market too! He really is such a talent.

Kylie- The sweater I’m wearing is a handknit. Good eye! The pattern is called Picovoli, and it’s a free pattern available here : http://www.knotions.com/patterns/magknits/picovoli/directions.aspx. I made mine without the picot edge, obviously! It was a super easy knit, and I wear it all the time. All the other patterns at Knotions are great too, so be sure to check ‘em out. Thanks!

Joanie- We do have kits available in our shop, but I’m sure you can find some gauzy cottons locally. Good luck!

dorie November 2, 2008 at 8:57 pm

love these so much. I really want to try.

Bev November 4, 2008 at 5:37 am

I love these scarves, I am going to make at least two, one for me and at least one xmas pressie! Great idea.

brand-eye November 4, 2008 at 10:05 am

these are really cool, thanks!

A Crafty Lawyer November 5, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Love these! I happened to already have several pieces of the Kaffe Fassett shot cotton at home, so I whipped one up last night. I’m thinking I need to make more as gifts.

claudia November 7, 2008 at 1:54 am

These are perfect for the visions I’ve had about a new scarf!
Thanks so much for sharing.

shelle November 13, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Laura,

You ROCK—also, I’ve been in Spool several times and you are always so friendly.
Love, love, the scarves.

Bird November 25, 2008 at 5:39 pm

i am in LOVE with these scarves!! my kit arrived this week (plum) and i’m very excited to sew/wash/dry/fray this up! also, Laura- thank you for the info on Glee. i’m doing up the entire ensemble for my work Christmas party! hooray!

John February 12, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Great tutorial! I saw it before the holidays, but now I’m thinking of actually making one for Valentine’s Day. So here’s my question: if I’m reading it right, I’ll be sewing two 18″ x 44″ strips together the long way, creating an 18″ x 88″ scarf. Is that right? I’m only asking because 88″ (over 7 ft.) seems like a very long scarf to me. Did I read it wrong? Thanks! Love your site!!

Laura February 12, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Hi John- You will be sewing two 22″ x 36″ pieces together on the short side, so your finished scarf will be 22″x 72″- Perfect!

lucinda June 15, 2009 at 8:54 am

hi laura,
i just bought the shot cot cotton fat quarter budles from spool online. i am knew at sewing and thought this would be a good project. i just want to clarify, i am going to sew the 4 fat quarters together on the 22 inch side correct?

thanks for your help
lucinda

Laura June 15, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Hi Lucinda-Yes, that will work well! Be sure to send me photos when you’re done!

Amber July 7, 2009 at 1:04 pm

totally awesome in every way…