Sewing Machine Cozy

by Laura on July 25, 2008

Rainbow Cozy

One of the first things I made when when I started sewing was a cozy for my sewing machine. My manual instructed me to keep it dust-free, but it didn’t come with a cover! I used some old upholstery fabric and some felt and cobbled together a cozy. It isn’t my best work, but I love it because it contains some of the first seams I ever sewed.

Spool Sewing Machine Cozies

When we opened the shop and bought our sewing machines, each one came with a plastic cover. They all looked neat and uniform, but a little sterile. Using the plastic cover as a model, we made fun fabric cozies for each of our Singers. Michael pieced, appliqued, and embellished them beautifully! They brighten our workroom, and make it more personal. Plus, now our machines know how much we love them!

In the spirit of sewing machine love, we made a downloadable pdf, located in the left sidebar, for you to make your very own cozy. Be sure to send photos of your finished covers, we’d love to see them! Have fun dressing up your machine and your workspace!

{ 34 comments… read them below or add one }

Linda B July 25, 2008 at 7:52 pm

I love it! I want to make one (eventually) :-D

Maria July 26, 2008 at 3:39 am

That is funky as!!! Thanks heaps for the pdf, just what I need to do (right after I clear a path through the mess to the machine).

adri July 26, 2008 at 10:21 am

I love it, beautiful!

erica July 26, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Very cool. I’m still trying to figure out how to make one for my serger.

Mirre July 26, 2008 at 6:23 pm

These are so cool!
I’ve been wanting to make a cover for ages!

Jeanne July 27, 2008 at 12:19 pm

I love the room full of machines in their pretty cozies, like girls in their summer dresses! My favorite is your original one. Thanks for the pattern.

liz July 29, 2008 at 1:47 am

it is as if you have read my mind! my charming 18 month old son has discovered how to climb on the chairs that are at the table and subsequently play w/ my sewing machine and serger! my serger came w/ a plastic cover, but my sewing machine was not. the plastic cover has kept him at bay, so i was thinking that i needed to figure out how to make one for my sewing machine. thanks so much!

heather July 29, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Just in time, I’ve been wanting to get rid of my boring vinyl cover! Very beautiful.

Di July 30, 2008 at 8:16 am

Great pattern! thanks! Just a heads up, your RSS feed isn’t working. I will try later tonight to see if it’s on my end.

cindy July 31, 2008 at 12:19 am

I love the one in the 1st photo the best. Great idea!!

weirdbunny July 31, 2008 at 5:40 pm

The new free patterns are great. Definately need to make one of tthese for my sewing machine, that came witth no cover.

Any more free paterns on ts way ? I’m currently on my 9th bird for the mobile … thanks … love Julia x

billie August 11, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I love all your cozies! They look so happy! I just made one for my daughter’s machine, but didn’t make a pattern (sort of winged it). Thank you for sharing yours.

Sandi August 18, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Thank you for sharing. This is a delightful blog. I’m going to have to bookmark it! Got your link from another blog that I was visiting – One Pretty Thing – http://www.oneprettything.com. Will have to visit both – really neat ideas!

whitney September 8, 2008 at 11:11 am

Oh this is just wonderful! Thanks for the PDF! Can’t wait to make one.

eileen September 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm

I made mine years ago…also used the plastic cover as a pattern. I used quilted material and
bias tape. Was really easy. Yours look really nice. Love your site.

Betty October 21, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I MADE ONE!!! So very fancy. Thanks for the pattern.

Laura October 21, 2008 at 5:44 pm

I’m so glad everyone’s machines are now living dust-free!

Betty- thanks for sharing your photo. Your sewing machine thanks you!!

Jaime November 6, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for sharing the pattern for this! I finally got around to making one.

Embroidery Fanatic November 7, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Is the black cozy with the flowers embroidered or is that the fabric design. I can’t tell from the picture. I absolutely love it though :)

Laura November 7, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Thanks, EF! That is the fabric design. It’s from Michael Miller’s Pod Posey collection. Glad you like!

Clothdiapermama November 9, 2008 at 9:24 am

That is so cool. I love it and since my sewing machine is out all of the time I need one.

Caley November 17, 2008 at 10:56 am

Thank you for sharing a pdf pattern for the sewing machine cover. Pdfs are so helpful, and we can only hope to design something so pretty! I’ve included this in our roundup of sewing machine cover tutorials here:

Erin December 23, 2008 at 10:36 am

I made one this weekend for my new sewing machine. I added a pocket on the front to store the instruction book since I’m still learning how to use it! Here’s some pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/ekbushnell/UntitledAlbum?authkey=Qc6ARTKj1eY&feat=directlink

I took your beginning sewing class and now I’m on a roll – I’ve made the birds (so cute!), the scarves (I get a ton of compliments on these!), and can’t wait to figure out what my next project will be!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sewer of Singer March 25, 2009 at 5:39 pm

That’s a great idea. Thanks for all the ideas so i can get going on one myself. One of those will look good over my Singer Futura CE-250. :o )

Sandra @ Pepperberry and Co. April 15, 2009 at 4:08 am

Those covers are simply sensational! What an eye for design you and Michael have. Great work. Thank you very much for the tute!
:-)

sandrar September 10, 2009 at 9:11 am

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

frances January 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm

This is awesome! I hope you don’t mind if I put a link to this on my blog?
I just love this!

Lisa March 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Found your sewing machine cozy online and decided to try it. I sandwiched some batting between two pattern pieces for each cut to add a little more weight and since I had unfinished quilt edges I bound them. I love how it turned out. Your pattern was very easy to understand. Thanks for sharing. Pictures of my cozy can be found here.

JoAnna May 24, 2010 at 9:21 am

Just finished mine this weekend! I did mine with oil cloth (for easy cleaning and I found the cutest oil cloth I just needed to find a project for!) and made the top a little wider for my machine. Pictures here:

Debbie Kelly October 12, 2010 at 11:06 am

Thanks for the lovely sewing machine cover .I am building a new sewing room and it will be nice to leave my FW out with a cover

annette corney October 30, 2010 at 6:41 pm

i have made a few of these machine covers for xmas and they are so cheap to make what a wonderful gift for my friends. love it. all i need to find now is the over locker cover can anyone help me please.

Regards annette

Jenny December 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

Thanks for the pattern, my sewing machine is so happy now!! Pictures here.

Earthtonesgirl August 23, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Thanks for an awesome project/tutorial….I love my cozy!!!! And it totally brightens my sewing room.

Daniela Bendini August 28, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial… now my sewing machine is not nude anymore ! I had some pieces of sarge and I had no idea what should I create with it. This tutorial was my inspiration. I hope you like it !

Thank you ! Daniela РṢo Paulo РBR